Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Champion Mastery Bragging Thread

Creator: Ninja Trigger May 7, 2015 4:03pm

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 9, 2015 9:35pm | Report
Nice to see people *****ing about how mastery is pointless and should replace the ranked system because GODS we've all forgot about that or it doesn't prove anything or CHECK OUT MY LEE SIN PLAYS.
I just think it means nothing for the reasons Toshabi just pointed out:
Toshabi wrote:
It's more of the fact that I've already mastered 3 champions and don't see the point of masteries anymore. I thought it'd be a way of saying "Oh ****, this guy has 500 Twitch games under his belt. Maybe we should let him do his twitch game".

But instead it's just another *rolls eyes* someone played 15 games as Twitch

The point of a system about MASTERING a champion should be to actually play enough that it makes a difference. Otherwise it's just another fancy badge that doesn't mean ****. I also just think mastering a champion in normals is a joke. I can get fed as **** with many things in normal games, that doesn't mean I'm any good at them.
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 10, 2015 12:16am | Report
I just think it means nothing for the reasons Toshabi just pointed out:

The point of a system about MASTERING a champion should be to actually play enough that it makes a difference. Otherwise it's just another fancy badge that doesn't mean ****. I also just think mastering a champion in normals is a joke. I can get fed as **** with many things in normal games, that doesn't mean I'm any good at them.

Yeah, which is what I thought the grading system would do. Get points for A and above (for mastering), lose points for B and lower (for higher ranks, of course).
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 10, 2015 1:11am | Report
I just seem to be the only person that has a problem with people playing champions they have hundreds of games experience with, getting Master in 15-20 games, and complaining the system doesn't represent anything. And all the improvements to the system seem to be just the ranked system repeated for different champions.

Basically MOBAFire.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 10, 2015 1:53am | Report
The problem is that you wouldn't need to have played hundreds of games with a champion previously to master them. If you can play them well enough in normals, you'll "master" them in a relatively small number of games, whether you have played them much before that or not AND regardless of whether you could pick them up in ranked or not.

I'm all for requiring players to play a certain number of games with a champion before they pick it up in ranked (which is what people are basically suggesting when they say players should be required to "master" a champion before playing it in ranked), but, given that that could be implemented without this, I honestly don't know what the point of this system actually is besides a pretty badge.
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 10, 2015 2:01am | Report
But it will take you 50-60 games to do it. Which is long enough. I mean you can go ahead and pick a champion in a role different to the one you usually play that you have never tried and try and prove me wrong. Just don't play the one that's been your main FOR THREE SEASONS.

What you're saying is that "you clearly haven't mastered that champ, you're in SILVER ELO EHMAGAWD."
Because being a platinum troll shows mastery Amirite.

Basically MOBAFire.
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 10, 2015 2:14am | Report
But it will take you 50-60 games to do it. Which is long enough. I mean you can go ahead and pick a champion in a role different to the one you usually play that you have never tried and try and prove me wrong. Just don't play the one that's been your main FOR THREE SEASONS.

What you're saying is that "you clearly haven't mastered that champ, you're in SILVER ELO EHMAGAWD."

Bard mastery.

Yup, go home and be a family man.
MrCuddowls wrote:

Hahahaha telling me my items are bad HHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAhA
Listen buddy don't judge someone's items if your only level 13
This build is Platinum approved, Thats all you need to know

ThreadOfFate
<Member>
ThreadOfFate's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 10, 2015 2:19am | Report
Attempting to master Quinn adc. Wish me luck.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 10, 2015 2:23am | Report

I might be playing on an account that is Gold I lately, but my personal account is in Silver IV and I wasn't getting out of there at any reasonable rate either. This has nothing to do with what anyone's ranking is; I don't care if you're in Bronze, Diamond, or Gold.

It's mostly about the fact that normal games are never going to be an accurate representation of how good anyone is at anything, no matter how much people want them to be, so a system that gives you a badge after playing a bunch of normal games with a champion really says nothing about your ability to play that champion competitively. I consider mastering a champion the ability to play them competitively (to some extent), so I don't believe this system shows whether you've mastered a champion or not.

A really good example of my point: I picked up Thresh on my main in ranked (after having played very few games with him ever) and started playing him a decent amount. I could easily abuse the stupidity and bad positioning of Silver players with him. I can't really play him well enough to do that with him at a high Gold/low Plat level. I play him just well enough there to sort of hold my own, but never win lane. Have I mastered him? No, of course not. Yet with this system, despite the fact that I have maybe played a total of 50 games with Thresh ever (I'm being extremely generous with that estimate), if that, I could easily achieve "mastery" with him because I only have to play him at the level of the people I get matched up with in team builder with my 100 negative WL ratio in normal games.

Other people obviously have different opinions as to what "mastering" a champion is. This is just my take on the whole concept.
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 10, 2015 5:25am | Report
It's not meant to be an indicator of skill, that's what ratings like silver and gold are for. You aren't being forced to like it and you don't have to care about it just because it exists, so I don't know why you're complaining.
KiddFly
<Member>
KiddFly's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 10, 2015 8:52am | Report
Eve Mastery! Ignore the massive losing streak in my match history, practice really does make perfect.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide