Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo - Happy Halloween

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Community celebration time! Share a Halloween story or creation to enter our Special Halloween Giveaway! 🎃
's Forum Avatar

CAC 1 - Conclusion and Evaluation

Creator: Jebus McAzn September 11, 2011 5:37pm
1 2
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 11, 2011 5:37pm | Report
I've been debating this for a while but I'm going to have to shut down CAC 1. I know we've been at it for months, but that's exactly the problem.

We simply don't have a large enough player base that's interested in the idea. Originally, I projected that we'd have a lot more, judging from the interest thread. However, it's been the same 5 or 6 members posting in every thread (thank you for the dedication).

Create-A-Pokemon on Smogon was an idea that flourished because there were HUNDREDS of members who participated. This gave the polls a truly accurate representation of what the community wanted. Threads would follow a strict schedule because there were so many dedicated members, so they always had enough material to close each thread in roughly 3-4 days.

Smogon also has an active working poll system which made the process much easier, even though many important polls were still conducted in Bold Vote or Instant Runoff fashion. Unfortunately, we still lack that system, meaning that many potential users didn't want to take the effort to post a comment. The ease of clicking a few buttons would draw many more people to this project.

Overall, I feel that CAC 1 failed for three reasons.

1. Not enough members were interested or actively participating. This meant that CAC was no longer a community project and that the few members that there were usually argued amongst themselves. We didn't have enough submissions for many parts of the project and the absence of votes was a problem.
2. Threads were not closed and moved on to the next part of the project soon enough. This is a direct problem of a small interest base - I can't be closing threads and moving on if we don't have the votes or comments to justify it.
3. General inexperience of the community and myself in this type of project. Overall I think that Smogon's was more thought out - it was discussed among several moderators and headed by some of the most reliable. This was more of a solo expedition so I had nobody to consult, while the community was a little unsure at certain aspects as well. On Smogon, they delete posts that don't follow the rules, such as an out-of-line post or a vote. Unforunately, we couldn't afford to do that.

All of these problems really just stem from the small member base we had. So I'm terminating this project as of now because it isn't heading anywhere.

If anything I hope this has been a learning experience and I hope to start CAC 2 when we're sure of having more active members.
Mastarwe
<Member>
Mastarwe's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 12, 2011 12:02am | Report
too bad, but it's probably for the better.
I'm back!
HuntrKilr
<Member>
HuntrKilr's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 12, 2011 11:06am | Report
this was poorly handled imo. i was just thinking of writing a post mortem for this so that we could maybe do another one that works.
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 12, 2011 11:10am | Report
Partly my fault cause I kinda bombed like halfway through lol :c

For the longest time I couldn't find the posts or something, perhaps for the next one it would be possible to advertise it on the main page?

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Meow?
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 12, 2011 6:14pm | Report
That's another issue - this received no real attention from the admins so it wasn't popular enough. CAP had its own section and broadcasts.

HuntrKilr: Any additional feedback you have is welcome here. We'd all like to make CAC 2 a success.
gwadzila
<Member>
gwadzila's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 12, 2011 6:21pm | Report
Heh, well, I joined halfway through CAC and then I wasn't interesting in the whole idea.

However, now I would gladly do my best to help. I wuv champ designs <3
Credit to jhoijhoi for this intense battle.
Whenever you +Rep me, a puppy finds a home.
My builds: Gragas Veigar Soraka
My Blog is f*cking important.
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 12, 2011 6:37pm | Report
Maybe we should set up a champ design review thread, like Jhoi's or mine, except for Champions...?

gwadzila
<Member>
gwadzila's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 12, 2011 7:35pm | Report
eh, there aren't enough champions made, atm it's easier to just review the individual threads.
Credit to jhoijhoi for this intense battle.
Whenever you +Rep me, a puppy finds a home.
My builds: Gragas Veigar Soraka
My Blog is f*cking important.
Lott
<Member>
Lott's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 13, 2011 7:00pm | Report
This is kind of disappointing I joined this forum directly because of this awesome idea and that I wanted to take place (which I thought I was pretty active in), but I understand the decision, participation just kind of dropped off after the first few submissions and polls.

I think that for all we went through we should at least wrap up what we have, we have skills, art, and a name decided on and background story and passive submissions of some variety, for the sake of the few who stayed with it we should vote on those and at least finish Madaline. Does anyone agree to this, I just feel horrible leaving a project this close to completion.

Well that's about all I have to say on the matter, if we do continue, just that little bit further I'll be there, and if it is truly dropped than I would like to thank everyone involved, especially Jebus for leading it, for as far as it got, it was an interesting experience.
Mastarwe
<Member>
Mastarwe's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 15, 2011 2:15pm | Report
Interesting indeed, it was also a good example on what goes wrong. She became a bit too powerful and the synergy in the skillsets that where made weren't there when we voted for one skill at a time. I think tha it would be better to try out voting only for whole skillsets, since it's easier to balance them (even if it's more timeconsuming making them. This would also allow those who create ideas to explain more of the style they think the champion should be played etc.
I'm back!
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide