Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's final Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Vynertje's Support AMA and advice thread

Creator: Vynertje December 30, 2014 5:15am
Slappiz
<Member>
Slappiz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 21, 2015 1:16am | Report

Champions like Janna and Nami are more flexible. They often favor utility and some tankiness over damage, but they can build more damage heavy (or tanky) if needed.

Mage supports like Karma, Vel'Koz, and Zyra tend to favor offensive builds with some utility thrown in, they don't really benefit from full utility or tanky builds. They're often secondary(/tertiary) damage dealers in teamfights and are mostly used to secure an early advantage in lane. Zyra is a bit different in that her ult gives her a strong initiate allowing her to do a bit more even if she doesn't have a lot of damage items.

Imo Janna doesn't favor that much from tankiness but Karma does. I even find it easier to stay alive with Janna if you build AP since it boosts all your utility.
Building a 1-2 utility-defensive items on Karma is pretty good especially Iceborn Gauntlet which works really good with her kit.
Karma is one of those champions that have the option to adapt to the team comp you have and build accordingly to what the team needs. But if you want to carry as support in low Elo a full AP Karma is probably the build I would pick.
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 21, 2015 1:47am | Report

Wut. Those two items have very different roles, I can't see in which case scenario you'd be hesitating between them ^^'

Well if I wanted to be tanky I'd pick one and if I needed more damage on my abilities, I'd pick the other. I'm just trying to determine which of those two purposes is more important.
It's the same thing with comparing Frozen Heart and Randuins.

Basically MOBAFire.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 21, 2015 2:26am | Report
I like how you guys are answering my questions before I even get the chance to say something :^)

Amanda is right though, core items depend on the type of support. Can pretty much one-on-one agree with her post, so I'm not going in-depth myself on this as well unless you need me to.

I'm wondering a little bit more about item preferences.
Like is it generally better to get Frozen Heart over Randuins on Leona so you can have your stun up more often?
Is it better to get Frozen Heart over Morellonomicon on Nami in general?
(Although that is probably a stupid question to ask)

I'd say randuins unless you are vs a lot of autoattack damage (for frozen heart aura) - leona already has good resistances so you just need hp to back it up.

On Nami I'd go FH due to terrible AP scaling, but again this depends on the situation. FH aura is only effective if you face 3 or more auto-attack reliable champions.

When you're comparing Randuins and FH, you gotta look at how much CDR you have and/or need and how much use you can make of the passive/actives of the items.
'
Slappiz wrote:

Imo Janna doesn't favor that much from tankiness but Karma does. I even find it easier to stay alive with Janna if you build AP since it boosts all your utility.
Building a 1-2 utility-defensive items on Karma is pretty good especially Iceborn Gauntlet which works really good with her kit.
Karma is one of those champions that have the option to adapt to the team comp you have and build accordingly to what the team needs. But if you want to carry as support in low Elo a full AP Karma is probably the build I would pick.

I've played some karma and I don't really agree with iceborn. It's too expensive to be effective on her. Just go full spell pen -> liandry's + mikaels. Agreeing on the other stuff though.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 21, 2015 6:19am | Report
Slappiz wrote:
especially Iceborn Gauntlet which works really good with her kit.
For top lane Karma? sure. I wouldn't buy that on support Karma, as Vynertje said, it's much too expensive.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 21, 2015 11:36am | Report
Sorry for double post, but what are your thoughts about support Kayle as a counterpick and in general?
Blian
<Member>
Blian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 21, 2015 12:46pm | Report
I was watching the Sbenu korean championship and in every second game Annie was the support. We might see her more often at LCS too.

(btw SKT T1 was destroyed by CJ.. seriously they literally left 0 chance to SKT)
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 21, 2015 2:06pm | Report
Sorry for double post, but what are your thoughts about support Kayle as a counterpick and in general?

Don't really like her due to the way her E works, but she can be really really strong if you use her to bully low range lanes. Late game she's rather weak compared to other supports due to only having her ultimate as really effective support skill so you have to make it work early game.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 21, 2015 2:07pm | Report

Don't really like her due to the way her E works, but she can be really really strong if you use her to bully low range lanes. Late game she's rather weak compared to other supports due to only having her ultimate as really effective support skill so you have to make it work early game.
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 21, 2015 4:09pm | Report
What can you do to control lane as a ranged support ( Janna, Thresh, Morgana) if your ADC isn't helping you assert lane pressure, and you're vs another ranged support?

I try to tell my ADCs something along the lines of 'have lane presence', but is there any way to easily communicate to your ADC that you're looking to play more aggressively than they are allowing?
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
Vaan99
<Member>
Vaan99's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 21, 2015 5:24pm | Report
What would be your example builds for Janna, Nami, Braum and Alistar? I'm curious how other support players build them, I already have my prefered build but there is always room for improvement.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide